This recipe for Hot Cocoa Cookies is being posted much later than I originally planned. In fact, I started writing this blog post on November 25th, and now it is January 2nd. Unfortunately for me, my day job is busiest at the end of the year. And boy have I been busy working non-stop, including until 11:40pm on New Years Eve. Luckily I was freed just in time that I didn’t have to kiss any of my co-workers at midnight. And now I can go back to spending all my spare time on something I really love, this blog!
So my original plan for a Christmas cookie post clearly didn’t happen. Even though I wrote this recipe and took photos a month and a half ago. But it is still winter, and I’m pretty sure Hot Cocoa is still a winter drink. So this Hot Cocoa Cookies recipe is a little late, but still festive! You can make them anytime, or you can wait til next Christmas, either way they will be delicious.
These cookies are chocolate cookies with chocolate chips, so they are super chocolaty, which is perfect for the hot cocoa flavor. The Mallow Bits give them a nice marshmallow flavor. I usually use Mallow Bits in cookies rather than mini marshmallows because mini marshmallows tend to be very melty and the cookie will fall apart. Mallow Bits wont melt so they are great for cookies. They also are good for decorating the cookies. I usually buy them at Target, but I think you can get them at most supermarkets.
These are very easy to make. You just need to mix everything in one bowl, scoop the dough and put some mallow bits on top of the cookies. Very quick and simple, but they look really cool and taste delicious. Try them out and let me know how it goes!
Hot Cocoa Cookies
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup mallow bits
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a large mixing bowl cream together the butter, granulated sugar and brown sugar until fluffy. Mix in the egg and vanilla extract.
- Whisk together the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt. Combine with the butter mixture and mix until well combined. Add in the chocolate chips and mallow bits (save some to add to the tops of the dough once the cookies are scooped) and mix until just incorporated.
- Scoop even sized cookies onto ungreased cookie sheets and press down gently to flatten the tops. Add mallow bits to the top of the cookies. Bake cookies for 10-12 minutes in the preheated oven. Let cool completely before eating.