These Hot Cocoa cookies are one of my absolute favorite recipes for the holiday cookie season. They are chocolate cookies with chocolate chips, so they are super chocolaty, which is perfect for the hot cocoa flavor. The Mallow Bits give them a nice marshmallow flavor and make them look really cute. These are perfect to put on your holiday cookie tray, give as a gift or make as part of your holiday cookie swap!
How to make hot cocoa cookies
These are very easy to make. You just need to mix everything in one bowl, scoop the dough and put some mallow bits on top of the cookies. Very quick and simple, but they look really cool and taste delicious. Try them out and let me know how it goes!
Why use Mallow Bits?
I usually use Mallow Bits in cookies rather than mini marshmallows because mini marshmallows tend to be very melty and the cookie will fall apart. Mallow Bits wont melt so they are great for cookies. They also are good for decorating the cookies. I usually buy them at Target, but I have also bought them and other similar marshmallow bits on Amazon.
What is the difference between hot cocoa and hot chocolate?
A lot of people use hot cocoa and hot chocolate synonymously for any warm chocolate drink, but they actually aren’t the same thing. Hot cocoa is made with cocoa powder, sugar, and milk while hot chocolate is usually just made with melted chocolate and milk. But you can call these cookies hot cocoa cookies or hot chocolate cookies!
Hot Cocoa Cookies
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup mallow bits
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a large mixing bowl cream together the butter, granulated sugar and brown sugar until fluffy. Mix in the egg and vanilla extract.
- Whisk together the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt. Combine with the butter mixture and mix until well combined. Add in the chocolate chips and mallow bits (save some to add to the tops of the dough once the cookies are scooped) and mix until just incorporated.
- Scoop even sized cookies onto ungreased cookie sheets and press down gently to flatten the tops. Add mallow bits to the top of the cookies. Bake cookies for 10-12 minutes in the preheated oven. Let cool completely before eating.