I love lemon bars, but they can be so messy to eat. I was trying to come up with a way to eat them without getting my hands all sticky, and these little cookie cups are the best way to solve this problem! They have the taste of a lemon bar, without the mess. To make them easy, I made the lemon curd in the microwave.
Lemon bar cookies
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 8 tbsp butter
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/3 Cup Flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 3/4 cup lemon juice preferably fresh, but bottled lemon juice works
- 6 tbs butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Coat a mini muffin tin with butter or nonstick cooking spray
- In a large mixing bowl cream butter and sugar together until fluffy. Beat in the egg and vanilla. Add in the flour, baking soda and baking powder and mix until combined.
- Roll batter into 12 1" balls and push into the muffin tin.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown.After taking the cookies out of the oven, immediately press the insides of the cookies down with the backside of a spoon to make a little cup for the filling to go into each cookie. Let the cookies cool completely.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, whisk together the sugar and eggs until smooth. Add in lemon juice and butter.
- Cook in the microwave for one minute intervals, stirring after each minute until the mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a metal spoon (usually 3-5 minutes total) Remove from the microwave. If the curd is overcooked, you can spoon out the bits of egg, or strain the liquid through a sieve.
Putting them together
- Spoon about a teaspoon of lemon curd into each cookie to fill.
- Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, or until lemon curd has set. The easiest way to get the cookies out of the pan is to us a butter knife to pop them out of the pan. Sprinkle the cookies with powdered sugar if desired.