I used to think that Dulce de Leche was something fancy that came in a jar. I simply never really looked into it. Until I was watching an episode of one of my favorite shows Somebody Feed Phil and they went to Argentina and had Dulce de Leche pancakes. And I decided I really wanted to try some of those, but wasn’t sure where to start. Thats when I googled it and realized not only is it SUPER easy to make homemade dulce de leche. It only requires one ingredient.
What is Dulce de Leche?
Dulce de Leche is sweetened milk that has been cooked down until it becomes a delicious thick honey colored sauce. It is similar to a caramel sauce. Except caramel is made from sugar and water, and to make Dulce de Leche you only need to use a can of sweetened condensed milk. The longer you cook the sweetened condensed milk the darker and thicker it will be.
How to make Dulce de Leche.
There are several ways to make homemade dulce de leche, and all of them have their positives and negatives. The way I like to make it is probably the most hands off, but it does take awhile. For my way, you basically just put it in the oven and cook it for an hour and a half. This way is very simple and will yield great results.
Pour a can of dulce de leche into a shallow glass pan, such as a pie pan.
Cover the pan with foil
Put the foil covered dish into a roasting pan or large baking dish, pour hot water around the small dish until it is about halfway up the small pan.
Bake in the oven at 425°F for 45 minutes. Check to make sure the water in the roasting pan hasn’t all burned off. If so, add more water. Continue cooking for 45 more minutes.
When it is done, let it cool, whisk it until it is smooth, and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
You can use dulce de leche in a variety of ways. I’ve made a few desserts with it, including my Dulce de Leche Cookies and Dulce de Leche gooey bars. The possibilities are endless!
Easy Homemade Dulce de Leche
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Pour the sweetened condensed milk into a shallow glass pan, like a pie dish. Cover the dish tightly with foil.
- Place the wrapped pan into a larger baking dish. Fill up baking dish with hot water until it is about half as high as the small baking pan. Put in the oven.
- Cook for 45 minutes in the preheated oven. Check the water level in the pan, if its gotten too low, replace with more hot water. Continue cooking for 45 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Once cooled, whisk it until it is smooth and store in an airtight container in the fridge.
Pingback: Easy Dulce De Leche Bars - Jess Loves Cooking