Are you looking for a really simple, but impressive dessert? Well here it is. This recipe takes almost no effort, and is nearly impossible to screw up. These Dulce de Leche bars are gooey, rich and amazing.
I try to bake from scratch when I can. Which is pretty often, because baking eases my stress and makes me happy. Plus it makes everyone around me happy since I’m constantly giving them baked goods. But honestly, I frequently cheat and will used boxed mixes if I need to make something and don’t have a lot of time. I think boxed mixes get a bad name. They are pretty good just by themselves, but if you doctor them up a bit they can truly be amazing.
For this recipe I made it simple. I used store bought cookie mix, prepared as the package directs with some white chocolate chips thrown in, and dulce de leche spread in the middle. And truly they dont at all taste like I used a mix.
A couple of things to note. You can definitely use store bought dulce de leche for this recipe, but you could also use my Easy Homemade Dulce de Leche recipe. It’s a simple recipe that requires very little effort. I think is totally worth the time it takes for the sauce to cook. But if you want to save some time, store bought dulce de leche will taste almost as good as the homemade kind.
When you bake the first layer of the sugar cookie mix you aren’t baking it until it is completely done. So dont worry if after 10 minutes it doesn’t look done. You are only baking it a bit so the dulce de leche doesn’t get absorbed while baking the bars. I also like to drizzle some dulce de leche on top of the bars when they are done to make them look pretty.
Dulce De Leche Bars
- 1 17.5 oz package sugar cookie mix prepared as the package directs
- 1/2 cup dulce de leche
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line an 8×8 square pan with parchment paper.
- Prepare the sugar cookie mix as the package directs, add in the white chocolate chips.
- Press 2/3 of the prepared sugar cookie mixture in the bottom and about 1/2” up the sides of the prepared pan. Bake in the preheated oven for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool for a few minutes.
- Spread dulce de leche over the top of the baked sugar cookie bar, then lightly press the remaining dough over the dulce de leche.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the top is golden and the center of the bars have only a slight jiggle to them. Cool completely, then cut them.