Looking for another way to use dulce de leche? These Dulce De Leche Filled Cookies are the perfect way to add dulce de leche to another dessert. These cookies have a sweet cinnamon dough, are stuffed with dulce de leche and then rolled in yummy cinnamon sugar before baking.
I’ve been absolutely obsessed with dulce de leche lately. Its just so scrumptious and makes everything taste better. It’s been hard not to just keep putting it into different desserts and make 100 recipes with it. But I figure we probably need some variety of recipes on this website and not just dulce de leche ones. But I’ll probably have at least a few more to post as time goes on.
As with my Easy Dulce De Leche Bars, these cookies can be made with homemade dulce de leche, like from my Easy Homemade Dulce de Leche recipe. Or you can simplify the recipe by buying the store bought kind. Either way, these are some of the most delicious cookies I’ve ever made. The dough smells so amazing while you’re making it that its hard to not eat the raw dough. You could probably just use the dough recipe for some really yummy cookies, but its even better when you fill it with dulce de leche.
We served these recently at an outdoor socially distanced gathering at my house. Several people asked for the recipe. And I was told that they were some of the best cookies they had ever tried. So I definitely think these are a winner!
To make these Dulce De Leche Filled Cookies actually be stuffed with the dulce de leche you will want to start by basically making thumbprint cookies with the dough.
Then you pipe the dulce de leche into the wells of the thumbprint cookies and cover it with the remaining dough. Make sure at this point that the dulce de leche is completely covered and wont leak out during baking!
Dulce de Leche Filled Cookies
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup dulce de leche
Cinnamon Sugar Coating
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Whisk the flour, cinnamon, baking powder and salt together.
- In a separate bowl, beat brown sugar and butter together until creamy. Add the egg and vanilla and mix until combined. Mix in the dry ingredients until well combined.
- Shape the dough into 24 balls. There should be cookie dough left over. Place the balls 2 inches apart on the prepared cookie sheets. Use a spoon or your thumb to make a large 1/2 inch imprint in each ball.
- Place the dulce de leche into a piping bag or ziplock bag. Cut off the edge of the bag and pipe dulce de leche into each thumbprint hole until 3/4 full. Cover dulce de leche with a piece of the reserved dough. Gently roll the cookie balls in the cinnamon sugar mix until coated, then place back on the cookie sheet.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 10-15 minutes, until the edges are lightly browned. Let cool completely before eating.